Wiki Podiatrist visit in nursing facility

MelodyCPC

Contributor
Best answers
Can (or should) a podiatrist bill for a visit to a new patient in a nursing facility using an Initial Nursing Facility code (99304-99306)? Or are these codes to be used only by the admitting physician? The podiatrist is usually seeing the patient for pressure ulcers or diabetic feet with onychomycosis and may perform nail debridements.

Our Medicare carrier is WPS Medicare and I cannot find any guidance on their website about whether those codes are payable to DPM.

Those codes are not payable to Podiatry and they are only for admission, which Podiatry does not do the Primary would bill those codes. We bill for subsequent 99307-99310. It is the same for Hospital codes we can not bill the admission (even though we did admit) and can only bill for subsequent

Thanks, werner03 - it is helpful. It confirms for me that it is ok to bill the initial nursing facility codes, which is what a representative at WPS told me when I contacted them via email with this same question. They didn't, however, lead me to this article nor did they tell me that the high levels are not payable to podiatrists...so thanks for your response!

Interesting, though, is that they included 99241-99244 in this list of payable codes...but I thought Medicare won't pay consultations?? hhhmmm. I'm surprised they haven't caught that mistake yet.

Have a great day!
Melody