Wiki Please Help...

kibbit99

Best answers
Hello,

I have an older surgery that was handed in and I am not certain onwhat is the proper biopsy code for this this.

Thanks,
Kim

PROCEDURES: EXCISIONAL BIOPSY OF LEFT THUMB
DX: LT THUMB INFECTION

INDICATION: She went out to have an infection of her left dorsal thumb just proximal to the nail plate. This was in Infectious Disease's quandary and they wanted a sample. Risks, benefits, and alternatives of excisional biopsy was discussed with her and she wanted to proceed knowing the risks would include but not limited to infection, bleeding, as well as nerve and tendon scarring, and the final risk of requirement for further surgery or debridemtn. She gave her consent, was brought to the operating room, placed in supine position, identified by myself, underwent sedation in usual fasion. A 1/2 in Penrose was placed at base of thumb. A dorsal curvilinear incision was made just proximal to the paronychial area. This was the area of fungating mass. All devitalized tissue including some skin was removed being some it fungated through the sking. The skin flaps were kept full-thickness where possible and then we debrided all devitalized tissue that looked like granulomatous tissue and all the way down the extensor tendon. We protected the extensor tendon and the nail bed at all times. After all devitalized tissue was debrided including the portion of the skin, copious irrigatoin was done.