Wiki Please Help With Exam Questions

Best answers
Hello all

My name is Joel and this is my first post here and I am glad I found this forum. I am currently in the beginning phase of studying on my own for the CPC license and there are some questions from the book that I cannot find the answer to.

Any help would be appreciated.

The questions are below:

CPT errors:

1. The definition of principal diagnosis?

2. CPT code for layered closure of 2.0 cm laceration of right forearm and 2.5 cm of left elbow?

3. Colonoscopy w laser removal of lesions?

4. Insertion of straight catheter?

ICD 9 errors:

1. The definition of principal diagnosis?

Thank you all.

Joel

Study test question errors

For your layered repair you need to start by looking in the 12000 section. These codes are base on location, length and depth/complexity.
For layered repairs, not specified as complex start with 12031.
Look for location, then length.
Since both the forearm and elbow are in the same location you add the lengths together to get your overall length and from there you can pick your correct code.
In this instance use code 12032.

Last edited:
colonoscopy with laser removal of lesion

For this one you need to realize that "laser removal" is considered ablation, for 2015 the updated code is 45388.

insertion of a straight catheter

this code is 51701, this is a "non-indwelling" catheter
don't forget to look up the supply code for the catheter also

I strongly recommend getting the Step-by-Step book by Carol S. Buck to learn the basics of medical coding. She breaks it all down in a comprehensive way. You can find it online. Use the AAPC website as a resource for what you need for the exam. Good luck!

Thank You

Thank you Lisa and Juanita, much appreciated. I will definitely look into the book you recommended, it seems like it would be a big help. I needed to get pointed in the right direction on those questions because I just could not find the answer in my book.

As far as the other questions about the principle diagnosis for CPT and ICD-9, is it just the first diagnosis after testing and examination has occurred, as opposed to the person for example, walking into ED with heavy sweating only to find out they actually have the flu? With flu, not heavy sweating being the principle diagnosis for ICD-9 I assume. But what about the CPT code in this case? Not the best example perhaps, but it is still a little confusing.

Thank you again,

Joel