Wiki please help - repeat procedure during global period

soprano

Guru
Best answers
Provider did an I&D for an abscess and two days later pt came in with another abscess and another E&M and I&D was done. How do I bill this? Do I use modifier 24 for the E&M and 79 for the procedure?

You've posted this a couple of times. I responded once and I know someone else responded to you. We both said that there is not enough information to help you. Was the abscess in the same location or somewhere else? Does the documentation support an E/M with the I&D. Billing for repeat procedures and adding modifiers is going to depend on what the provider documented so without additional information there is no way that anybody can answer your question.

Last edited:
My apologies. The second abscess was right above the first abscess and I&D site on the hip/buttock area. E&M is supported for follow-up for first procedure as well as for second procedure.

If the abcess is not in the exact same spot (above first) it is a new problem. The follow-up of the first abscess is not billable, but if the documentation supports an E/M for the new abscess after taking out the portion for the follow up, then I would use a 24 and 25 on the E/M and 79 on the new abscess. If the documentation does not support a separate E/M then just a 79.