Wiki please help me on this Discrepancy

chewri

Best answers
This was on the Americal Gastroenterology Association web site. This seems to be totally different then the way things were explained in Coding edge. All along I have been taught once a person has polyps or CA that no longer is the procedure considered screen/preventative and that you do not use mod 33 and that if no bx was taken and it was a screen you did not need to put a 33 on the 45378. Now I am totally confused. Any input would be greatly appreciated! The only one of these I would have coded the same would have been #5.

Example #1

Indication: Colon screening

Post-endoscopy finding: Normal colonic mucosa

Procedure code: G0121 (Average risk screening) or 45378-33 (Diagnostic colonoscopy with modifier 33 indicating this is a preventive service).

Diagnosis code: V76.51 (Special screening for malignant neoplasms, colon)

Example #2

Indication: Personal history of colon polyps, Colon screening

Post-endoscopy findings: Normal colonoscopy

Procedure code: G0105 (High risk screening) or 45378-33 (Diagnostic colonoscopy with modifier 33 indicating this is a preventive service)

Diagnosis code: V12.72 (Personal history of colon polyps)

Example #3

Indication: Colon screening

Post-endoscopy findings: Polyps in the cecum and sigmoid colon

Procedure: Colonoscopy with removal of cecal and sigmoid polyps by snare technique

Procedure code: 45385 (Colonoscopy with removal of polyp by snare)

Modifier PT (if Medicare patient) or Modifier 33 (if non-Medicare) should be added to indicate this was a preventive service and to trigger benefits

Diagnosis code: V76.51 (Special screening for malignant neoplasms, colon). Some Medicare payors instruct to only use the finding since the PT modifier indicates it was done for screening.

211.3 (Benign neoplasm, colon [based on pathology report])

Example #4

Indication: Personal history of colon polyps; Colon screening

Post-endoscopy findings: Large sessile polyp in the rectum, unable to resect, pending pathology

Procedure: Colonoscopy with biopsy of rectal polyp. Will await pathology and consider surgical referral.

Procedure code: 45380 (Colonoscopy with biopsy)

Modifier PT (if Medicare) or Modifier 33 (non-Medicare) should be added to indicate this was a preventive service and to trigger preventive

Diagnosis code: V12.72 (Personal history of colon polyps). Some Medicare payors [First Coast and Noridian] instruct to only use the finding since the PT modifier indicates it was done for screening.

211.4 (Benign neoplasm, rectum) or 235.2 (Neoplasm uncertain behavior, intestines and rectum [based on pathology report]).

Example #5

Indication: Change in bowel habits, here for colon screening

Post-endoscopy findings: Normal colon

Procedure: Colonoscopy

Procedure code: 45378

Do not append modifier 33 or PT, as this service was performed for a diagnostic, not screening, indication.