Wiki Please help...COVID swabs, billing for 99000 and/or G2023

Best answers
I’ve read through several posts and haven’t really found an answer so... has anyone actually gotten paid, for either 99000 or G2023 when billed with an E & M (99203-99214)? One of our physicians says someone from an insurance company told them that we should be getting paid $25 - $50 when billing either one of these codes every time we swab a patient and send the specimen to a lab. We’re not and I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong or how to get us paid. (Mind you, everything I’ve read says the payment is bundled into the E & M that they are billing.) So it currently looks (to this physician) that I’ve missed out on collecting thousands of dollars for the company. I have time to resubmit corrected claims (if I can figure out how to do it correctly) and still get us paid before timely filing limits have expired if someone would Please help me. Thank you in advance to anyone reading my post and any insight you can provide!!!

If a patient comes into your office for an E/M visit, is tested for COVID 19 during the visit, the swab collection is included in the E/M visit. However, if a patient comes to your office for an E/M visit regarding COVID 19 and the patient is directed to an external testing site that is not affiliated with your office that testing site can bill a 99211 for the swab sample collected. The AMA has listed scenarios where you can use 99000 as a handling fee for the transfer from your office to the lab when applicable, but I have not seen it being paid. The Cares Act does not accept the code 99000 and Medicare and Medicaid have not been paying for it either. When we see a patient via telehealth for a COVID 19 related visit and then we order the PCR Nasal Swab and direct the patient to come to the office to be swabbed if the patient comes on the same day we do the swab as part of the E/M for the virtual visit. If the patient comes to the office to be swabbed on a different day we bill 99211.

Ah, the elusive "someone from an insurance company". If I ever run into that guy, I'm gonna punch him in the face!

If he wants to get paid for sticking a swab up someone's nose, have the patient come in just for that and bill the 99211. Why would the patient be sitting around in your waiting room for a regular visit, and then sitting with the doctor in a small room, if he thinks they might have covid??