Wiki Placenta delivery

jilly78

Networker
Best answers
I have a physician who was only present for the delivery of the placenta but the patient did have postpartum bleeding which my physician did the curette with insertion of a Bakri Balloon. My question is am I able to charge for the delivery of the placenta or just the curette with insertion of the balloon?

I have a physician who was only present for the delivery of the placenta but the patient did have postpartum bleeding which my physician did the curette with insertion of a Bakri Balloon. My question is am I able to charge for the delivery of the placenta or just the curette with insertion of the balloon?
There is no code for insertion of the balloon. Does he document that the curettage was done to remove any products or just to check for excessive bleeding (ie, the placenta was delivered intact, but the patient continued to bleed). You can probably bill the delivery of the placenta with a modifier -22 depending on the final description of the work. Or possibly bill both (59160, 59414-51) but be sure to send in documentation. If they pay for both, your reimbursement will be higher.

There is no code for insertion of the balloon. Does he document that the curettage was done to remove any products or just to check for excessive bleeding (ie, the placenta was delivered intact, but the patient continued to bleed). You can probably bill the delivery of the placenta with a modifier -22 depending on the final description of the work. Or possibly bill both (59160, 59414-51) but be sure to send in documentation. If they pay for both, your reimbursement will be higher.
Thank you!!