Wiki Picking a level code-HELP

sara0014

Contributor
Best answers
Would you code this based off of time? I am stuck between two levels of service, but I feel that 99215 doesnt meet the medical decision making criteria. This is an established patient.

SUBJECTIVE: He presents self referred to discuss vasectomy. He is scheduling a follow up screening colonoscopy for October this year due to his strong family history of colorectal cancer. Today our focus was on the vasectomy. He had many questions about vasectomy. I spent 40 minutes with him discussing the procedure, alternatives, its risks, benefits and modalities of anesthesia. He is inclined towards a general anesthetic for personal anxiety reasons.

OBJECTIVE:
The patient's scrotum is normal. There are easily palpable vas-derentia. They are singular on each side. Testes normal bilaterally. Penis normal and circumcised.

ASSESSMENT/PLAN:
After our discussion, he chose to set up the colonoscopy but hold off on setting up a vasectomy until he can discuss options with his wife.

Exam time: 5 minutes Discussion about vasectomy 35 minutes.

You can not bill based on time due to the time statement being incomplete. In order to billed for time based coding the statement should go something as follows; 50 minutes was spent face to face with the patient and greater than 50% was spent discussing the risks, benefits and/or alternatives of a vascetomy

There are various ways to document time to indicate that more than 50% of the total time was spent on counseling/coordination of care. It seems clear that the time statement by the provider indicates that over 50% of the 40-minute visit was spent on c/cc, but perhaps I'm missing something. You need to know the total time of the visit (5+35=40) and you need to know if the majority of that time (>50% = majority) was spent on c/cc. I don't know how else you could interpret it.

There are various ways to document time to indicate that more than 50% of the total time was spent on counseling/coordination of care. It seems clear that the time statement by the provider indicates that over 50% of the 40-minute visit was spent on c/cc, but perhaps I'm missing something. You need to know the total time of the visit (5+35=40) and you need to know if the majority of that time (>50% = majority) was spent on c/cc. I don't know how else you could interpret it.

Agreed! Level 5 was met based on time.