Wiki Physician tie ins

catrinaquin

Contributor
Best answers
Does anyone have any reference material regarding physician and nurse practitioners billing for critical care services? I understand that the time can be shared but billed under one provider. However, the question has arisen regarding tie ins in the medical record. Can the NP dictate the note and the physician tie in a statement and sign off? I know it can be done on E&M codes in the office setting and other places of service, however, I have found nothing regarding critical care services. I have contacted Medicare as well regarding this, but they take a few weeks to respond. If anyone has any helpful info or links, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
:confused:

according to the AAPC, only physicians may bill for cc. Do you have access to the AAPC "Coder"? If not, I can email you the AAPC pdf re: this topic.

Teresa

Documentation issue

The information that I have says that the physician or any NPP (non physician practitioners) can bill for critical care services if they have their own NPI provider number. Of course, only one critical care claim is allowed per calendar day and the time can be split so long as all providers are part of the same group. So, a physician and NP can have 30 min each or 60 total, in which case you would bill a 99291. The question came up regarding the documentation. If the NP dictates part of the note, then the physician does a tie in statement in the note and signs off, is that acceptable? The issue is in the hospital system EHR, the note will reflect the NP's portion and name (dictating provider) and also the physician statement, name and signature (performing provider). I did refer to this link but did not get any clarity on what I needed.

http://www.learnicu.org/Lists/Learn...sicians and Nonphysician Practioners v1_0.pdf

Great Information

So glad to find this thread, I work in a Pulmonary practice and we have an on going debate about the use of mid level providers, I would appreciate any additional information you have compiled on the topic. Thank you!