Wiki Physical Therapy Units

StacyGalloway

Networker
Best answers
One of the doctors that I work for is a Dr of PT. We are trying to set up physical therapy for an out of state patient. My provider specializes in Scoliosis treatment and is one of a very few doctors who treat this via traction exercises (Schroth method) We want to set up 1/2 day appointments for this out of state patient which would include about 16 units per day for a week. I have called the patients insurance company and they state that it doesn't matter the # of units the # of visits is per day. Does anyone have any experience in billing out this many units in one day? Please advise.

Thank you!
Stacy -CFPC

I work in a PT setting and usually they only pay for 3 modalities per day, which is usually a contracted amount. At least that's how it is in NJ.

We would be billing Manual Therapy 97140 - Therapeutic Exercises 97110 - Therapeutic Activities 97530 and for an Evaluation 97001. (some or all of these in the time frame)

Jen2323

Usually we only get paid maximum for 4 units. No more. I don't know how u will get bad for 16 units in one day.

if it is for a MVA or work comp you could try to get prior auth for that number of units by calling the adjuster. Just a suggestion...

Jen2323

We work in an ot office. For some reason United Healthcare keeps billing our sessions as an a PT session instead of an OT one. When I question them on it they said we must be billing it wrong but not sure what the problem is? Does anyone have an suggestion