Wiki Physical Therapy HELP!!!!

Best answers
Hello,
So I am a coder at an office and I do the office visit coding. I've been getting questions from the physical therapy employees and I have no idea what to tell them. I know the codes that they have been using are VERY generic. They're usually symptoms. I'm trying to help them out with preparing for ICD-10. I just wanted to see if anyone could help me understand physical therapy coding. Is it correct to be coding only symptoms since they're treating symptoms? Or are they supposed to be using specific codes like I do when the physician sees the patient? I just need to understand how physical therapy is supposed to be coded so that I can actually help them and know what I'm talking about.
:confused:

Thank you

For ICD-9 CM the first list code for all rehab claims must be the V57 code for the rehab service. This code does not exist in ICD-10 CM. The guideline for ICD-10 CM states to code first listed the reason for the rehab. Which would be in most cases the symptoms. Never code a condition that no longer exists. For post injury you will be coding the injury codes. For instance if a patient has a healing rotator cuff injury and is sent to rehab if the injury was not repaired surgically and is healing, then the reason for rehab is a subsequent encounter for the patient for a healing rotator cuff injury. So you code the injury code with a D for the 7th character. The pain and stiffness are an inherent part of the healing process. On the other hand if the injury has been repaired and after the surgery part they are sent to rehab for the residual stiffness, then stiffness is the first listed dx with the rotator cuff injury code with an S. If it is a non injury related encounter then it is usually symptoms or aftercare. Such as after a joint replacement due to osteoarthritis. You will not code the arthritis you will code the aftercare following joint replacement Z code. This is all in the coding guidelines.