Wiki Physical Therapy Codes

k2ulei

Best answers
Please help!!

Can someone please explain to me (in plain english) the difference between 97140 and 97110? Also, at our facility we have a sensory deprivation tank and some of our patients utilize this but we are never certain which code can be billed for this service... I think that the best code for this service is 97139 because none of the other hydro therapy codes fit the description of the sensory deprivation tank and what it's used for.. Does anyone know of better code to use?

Hi there,

Manual therapy - 97140 is made up of four different modalities that used to be billed separately. They are joint mobilizations, myofascial release and manual traction. I can never remember the fourth. This is all hands on treatment by the PT.

Therapeutic activities - 97110 is basically the patient exercising to increase strength and ROM.

I have never heard of a sensory deprivation tank. I'm sorry the only thing I can think of is maybe aquatic therapy?? 97113, however the description for it includes therapeutic exercise. Good luck with that one.

Let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Hi Cyndi,

Thanks for the info...

I looked at 97113 for the sensory deprivation tank, but the description isnt 100% accurate and we reccomend the tank more so for detoxification rather than therapy. In your opinion is 97139 the best fitted code for the tank?

Okay, I remembered the 4th component of 97140. It's muscle energy. One of these years I will remember them all at the same time. :)

If there is no other code that completely fits other than the 97139, then yes I would use that one. You might have to provide documentation for some carriers.

Good luck!