Wiki Personal history codes vs cancer codes

Mindy Davis

Networker
Best answers
If a patient presents to the ER and has been previously diagnosed with cancer what ICD-10 code do we use to code the cancer personal history which start in Z85 or the codes that are in C section? The visit may or may not be related to their cancer dx. I need help with coding both types of visits.

Thanks
Mindy Davis CPC

personal hx

The personal hx code guidance states "The history code indicates that the patient no longer has the condition." If the patient still has cancer then a Cancer dx code would be appropriate. If the patient has achieved a curative state, then a personal hx code would be appropriate.

Not to be confused with some of the Blood based cancer conditions (lymphoma, leukemia, etc.) which can be in remission (there are specific codes for those states).

History code for a lymphoma for encounter. I studied a lot to find this!!!

No longer active... Code Z09 then a history code for non-Hodgkin's or Hodgkin's. Look at all the note's or clarify with the doctor about no longer active, and just coming in for blood work or port flush. Port flush would be Z452.

Thanks.

Marianne CPC
Oncology and Hematology Coder

Lymphoma history code

I am coding for a cancer center. It is not an ER setting. Thank you so very much.

Sincerely,

Marianne

If a patient presents to the ER and has been previously diagnosed with cancer what ICD-10 code do we use to code the cancer personal history which start in Z85 or the codes that are in C section? The visit may or may not be related to their cancer dx. I need help with coding both types of visits.

Thanks
Mindy Davis CPC