Wiki Periventricular White Matter Change

Can you give a little more info. Who is the patient ie child or adult? What is this DX based on? eval or Rad report etc

still looking for this if anyone knows of this. I actually see this quite frequently as a diagnosis on MRI's. A lot of times it may just state white matter change. I have a really hard time w/ trying to find a diagnosis out of thigs listed as "change" such as emphysematous "change" or white matter "change" or copd "change". Is this standard jargon???

just wanted to post what i found:

this could be coded as an abnormal finding and does not define a specific disease or abnormality.

just wanted to share. :)

This is standard usage "changes" and with this I have been given 437.0 to use by a Rad but then this is only my opinion but thought I would give it!

white matter changes

I work with a coder that has been coding radiology for over 10 years and she said that there isn't a code for "white matter changes" it is just age related.( Sometimes you just have to use the signs and symptoms. I hope this helps.

periventricular white matter changes

I have noticed with radiology reports that this is often referred to as "leukoaraiosis" (437.1 - Other generalized ischemic cerebrovascular disease) which is defined as "decreased vascular density, especially in deep white matter in the brain, on a MRI/CT; and may be caused by demyelination, gliosis, or decreased perfusion."

I hope this provides further clarification.