Wiki Percutaneous trigger finger release

Best answers
I am needing help regarding the correct CPT code for a Percutaneous trigger finger release. I am unable to find anything solid. 26055 is open and the only other code I can find would be unlisted 29999. Does anyone have a definitive answer regarding this?
Thank you in advance.

If the documentation indicates a percutaneous trigger finger release was performed then I would use an unlisted code (26989). Below is an article from CPT Assistant talking about the correct way to code a percutaneous trigger finger release. Also, my 3M coding software leads me to 26989 when I type in "percutaneous trigger finger release". Hope this helps!

CPT Assistant, April 2022 Page: 11 Category: Coding Correction

Coding Correction: Reporting Percutaneous Trigger Finger Release

A question under the heading, "Surgery: Musculoskeletal System," in the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section on page 17 of the January 2022 issue of CPT® Assistant, asked about the appropriate reporting for a percutaneous trigger finger release. The rationale for the answer is that code 26055 is for open trigger finger release and not for a percutaneous release. A percutaneous release does indeed divide the sheath of the A1 pulley; it is just not the work described by code 26055.

The original FAQ from January 2022:

Question:

Is it appropriate to report code 26055 for a percutaneous trigger finger release?

Answer:

No, a percutaneous trigger finger release is not a tendon sheath incision. It would be appropriate to report code 26989, Unlisted procedure, hands or fingers, for this procedure. When reporting an unlisted code for a procedure or service, it is necessary to submit supporting documentation (eg, procedure report) along with the claim to provide an adequate description of the nature, extent, and need for the procedure, and the time, effort, and equipment necessary to provide the service.

The revised answer for the FAQ is as follows:

Question:

Is it appropriate to report code 26055 for a percutaneous trigger finger release?

Answer:

No, code 26055, Tendon sheath incision (eg, for trigger finger), describes an open trigger finger release and thus should not be reported for this scenario. No CPT code currently exists to describe percutaneous trigger finger release; therefore, code 26989, Unlisted procedure, hands or fingers, should be reported. When reporting an unlisted code to describe a procedure or service, it will be necessary to submit supporting documentation (eg, procedure report) along with the claim to provide an adequate description of the nature, extent, and need for the procedure, and the time, effort, and equipment necessary to provide the service.