Wiki Peds E&M question

mpyatt

Best answers
I am working on my CEUs and have finished the first set of code arounds for almost every speciality. I am completely stuck on Pediatrics and am completely lost even with all the internet research I have done. On three of the notes I not only cannot get a CPT code but I cannot get an ICD9 code! What am I missing with Peds coding? For instance why is a 7 yr old female who saw a nurse regarding being turned down for Singulair by her insurance and is then put on Nasonex for allergic Rhinitis not a 99211 visit? ICD9 I tried allergic Rhinitis, runny nose, V codes for administrative visits and even counseling codes to no avail. :confused:

if the physician has changed the script and the nurse did at least 3 items, ie. ht, wgt, blood pressure and gives direction on use of meds...there's no reason why you can't use the 99211 with the allergic rhinites. We charge 99211 for nurse only visits with no problem.

99211 can be charged for a nurse visit; however, it depends on the payer on whether or not you get reimbursed, private payer versus Medicaid.