Wiki Pediatrician Interview

squeaker7

Contributor
Best answers
Can someone please help me with this? One of our pediatricians met with mom, mom wanting to interview the doctor as possible pediatrician for her baby who was not yet born. Is there a CPT code for this? Would we just use an office visit code? If so, what dx would you use?
This is new to me, any help is greatly appreciated!!

Can someone please help me with this? One of our pediatricians met with mom, mom wanting to interview the doctor as possible pediatrician for her baby who was not yet born. Is there a CPT code for this? Would we just use an office visit code? If so, what dx would you use?
This is new to me, any help is greatly appreciated!!

When I worked in Pediatrics, there were six providers in our office. Of the 6, only 4 would offer these 'prenatal visits', usually only as the first appointment of the day on certain days of the week. These were NO CHARGE visits in our practice-we'd just bill 94999 to account for the time in the provider's schedule, but not charge the patient or bill insurance (which is why the other 2 providers did not offer this service). We'd also limit them to 2 of these visits in our office-we didn't want to give away 4 free visits if they wanted to meet with each of the available providers. The thinking was that if the new parents chose our provider as their pediatrician, we'd make up that lost revenue for the 'meet the doc' visit with the well baby visits and such. I hope this helps!

Last edited:
We also do not charge insurance for prenatal consults -- which are very common in our area among certain demographics. All of our physicians offer them. We consider them marketing/a courtesy to future patients. The value of a newborn to the practice is worth extending the courtesy of not billing the insurance.

If you need to acct for the doc's time per policy, you can use 99499 (unlisted e/m service).