Wiki PCP and GYN Annuals

Best answers
We are an OBGYN clinic and we have a Nurse Practitioner who can perform both the PCP and GYN portions of the annual physical. I am wondering exactly how we should code for this. Would I use both diagnosis codes V72.31 and V70.0 with mod 22 for prolonged services?

Thanks for help!

you cannot add the 22 modifier to an E&M service. most payers accept the G and the Q code for the well woman exam, so when both are performed we have always billed using the preventive code linked to the V70.0 and the G and the Q code linked to the V72.31.. The V70.0 must be first listed

G and Q codes are solely Medicare codes. If you bill the 993-- codes to Medicare, they are non-covered and the patient will be responsible. Make sure the patient is aware of this before the exam and have her sign an ABN.

Last edited:
Yes they are Medicare related in every area, What I am telling you is they are designated as carrier discretion codes meaning any carrier can chose to accept them and most do even in your area. you need to check with them, it is the only way to obtain separate reimbursement for an annual and well woman on the same day.