Wiki Patient with DOB mismatch

DeBillingTater

Networker
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Good day all,
Just wanted to get your input on how you would usually handle a situation such as this: patient presents with Tricare, insurance was verified and appointment occurred. Upon billing, we received a denial and there's a DOB mismatch. The DOB in our system is correct, and it's incorrect in the Tricare system for the patient. Patient states they've been trying to fix it for years with no success.. Would you bill with the other DOB? Or just send the patient the bill and have them figure it out? It feels like a very thin line between willing to work with the patient and the "tough luck, get it fixed or pay up". Thoughts?

The official advice should be don't submit what you know is incorrect.
But if it's been years and the patient is unwilling or unable to correct it, I would probably ask them to sign a demographics sheet with the other DOB and submit 🤫. Obviously if any of the patient's other providers got paid by Tricare, they submitted with other DOB. I would also encourage the patient to follow up with the issue and stress how important it is. If the patient doesn't want to sign with the other DOB, then I would bill the patient.

I would probably call Tricare and ask them what it takes to fix this. Official copy birth certificate, copy drivers license, whatever.