Wiki PATIENT REFUSES VACCINE

prusso

Networker
Best answers
I have a question regarding Vaccine Refusal. I have a clinic that had a parent agree to a vaccine for their child. This vaccine was drawn up and once taken to the room the parent refused to allow the patient to have the vaccine. Is there anything the clinic can do to get reimbursement for this vaccine, they now have to waste due to these circumstances? I've researched and found that there is a modifier that can be used if you give part of the vaccine then the waste could bill out to insurance on a seperate line but I am not finding anything that addresses if there is anything that can be done for reimbursement under these other circumstances.

It's unfortunate that the patient agreed and then changed their mind, but you cannot seek reimbursement for this from the patient's insurance. The patient has a right to refuse this and can't be penalized for exercising that right and their insurance cannot be billed for a service that was not performed due to the patient's decision. If it's something that happens frequently, you might consider adding verbiage to the consent form that states that the patient will agree to cover the costs should they change their mind after the consent is signed and this would protect the practice in this situation. But otherwise, it's just part of the cost of doing business.