Wiki Patient management at the hospital, doctor's orders. Is there a CPT that I am missing?

DK47

Networker
Best answers
Patient presents to hospital with symptoms, RN is relaying patient symptoms to provider.
We have a provider telling our providers that they can bill for a service if they are giving an RN visit instruction over the phone. Provider hasn't seen the patient face to face or spoke to the patient.
Please let me know if I am missing something. I can't find anything with AMA or in the CPT manual.

Please see below:
"Patient arrives today for PEC rule out. At 35.6 Noted to have anemia and UTI, IV iron given along with Rocephin. Report +fm, Denies feeling contractions. Noted reactive NST baseline 140, irregular mild contractions" Note created by provider.

Patient presents to hospital with symptoms, RN is relaying patient symptoms to provider.
We have a provider telling our providers that they can bill for a service if they are giving an RN visit instruction over the phone. Provider hasn't seen the patient face to face or spoke to the patient.
Please let me know if I am missing something. I can't find anything with AMA or in the CPT manual.

Please see below:
"Patient arrives today for PEC rule out. At 35.6 Noted to have anemia and UTI, IV iron given along with Rocephin. Report +fm, Denies feeling contractions. Noted reactive NST baseline 140, irregular mild contractions" Note created by provider.
According to CPT, this is only reportable if the requesting person is a QHP. An RN does not qualify and is considered to be clinical staff who cannot bill for a service otherwise. I am referring to codes 99446-99449. The physician "consulted" but did not provide direct patient care (ie, a telephone call where the patient was present.).

According to CPT, this is only reportable if the requesting person is a QHP. An RN does not qualify and is considered to be clinical staff who cannot bill for a service otherwise. I am referring to codes 99446-99449. The physician "consulted" but did not provide direct patient care (ie, a telephone call where the patient was present.).
Thank you!