Wiki Patient from a rehab hospital brought in to podiatrist, denied by Medicare

JessBojan

Contributor
Best answers
I was wondering if anyone could give me some guidance/advice on how to go about billing this visit out. The patient is in a rehabilitation hospital but was brought in to have her nails trimmed (he billed for an office visit), which is not related to her treatment at the hospital nor is our physician affiliated with the hospital in any way. The dx codes are 110.1 and 729.5. Medicare is denying due to M2 : Not paid separately when the patient is an inpatient. & CO-58 : Treatment was deemed by the payer to have been rendered in an inappropriate or invalid place of service.

Any help or guidance on how to find out would be greatly appreciated!!

Jessica Bojan CPC, CPB
jbojan@traknetrcm.com

I was wondering if anyone could give me some guidance/advice on how to go about billing this visit out. The patient is in a rehabilitation hospital but was brought in to have her nails trimmed (he billed for an office visit), which is not related to her treatment at the hospital nor is our physician affiliated with the hospital in any way. The dx codes are 110.1 and 729.5. Medicare is denying due to M2 : Not paid separately when the patient is an inpatient. & CO-58 : Treatment was deemed by the payer to have been rendered in an inappropriate or invalid place of service.

Any help or guidance on how to find out would be greatly appreciated!!

Jessica Bojan CPC, CPB
jbojan@traknetrcm.com
You have to use the POS of where the patient is registered as a patient regardless of where the service is actually rendered. So in this instance use the rehab POS for all services rendered in your office for this patient