Wiki Patient Account Representative

nluppi

Best answers
I work for a nephrology practice that has 9 physicians and 5 PAs. I would like to know if anyone has a general idea of how many accounts a patient account representative can be reasonable responsible for working. The patient account representative in our office is responsible for the claim submissions to all insurance carriers, denials and setting up payment plans for over 2000 accounts. Does this sound right?:confused:

Patient Account Representative-Response

Hi there, I used to manage a patient accounting department. If I recall, our productivity was in the 50-60 range, both daily and as a monthly average. When averaged out for the month, it is pretty close. However, there are a few additional things I think you should consider. Our team did not take any inbound calls-we had a customer service unit to do so. Also, our team was only one payor. If your patient account rep is working all payors, taking inbound calls and following up with the insurers, both via the telephone and online, responsible for posting payments, and working denials, I would say her plate is overloaded and would consider adding another representative to your practice. That would not only relieve her of some of her duties but will allow her to be able to focus on the quality of her work moreso than the output. Hope this helps.