Wiki Pathology Auditing

JGGBALLEN

Networker
Best answers
Hello and thank you in advance for any support you can offer!:)

Hopefully, this will reach someone with extensive auditing experience, particularly within the specialty of Pathology or someone who codes for this specialty.

I am conducting a retrospective Pathology review/audit. As this specialty is new to me and to my colleagues in our compliance dept I would greatly appreciate anyone guidance please.

1. Are there any consult auditing policies/guidelines for specific verbiage, similar to E/M?
2. Provider billed 80500/dx 174.4
From my perspective and presuming there is not much else to review I feel CPT 80500 with dx 233.0 & 174.4 is more appropriate...please read below.
The authenticate path consult report that I am reviewing has
dates obtained/received/reported, path#, pt identifiers, req phy nme & institution w/addr, case id, # of slides.
Body of report indicates (I have replaced the actual number with the #)
"Breast, left, 1 o'clock, ultrasound guided core biopsy"
"invasive mammary carcinoma, scarff bloom richardson Score=#"
"(tubles=#, nuclei=#, mitosis=#)"
"ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS), intermediate nuclear grade, solid and cribform subtype"
"no definitive lymphovascular invasion is identified"
"immunohistochemical stains were unavailable for review, however per report:
ER: #%, positive,
PR: #%, positive,
HER2: #, negative,
K167: #%
"Comments: Slides will be returned to XYZ Lab"

3. I am having a difficult time grasping what to audit. I am prob looking for more than there is so I just need validation or education.

4. Consult code 80500 and 80502. Understanding that 80502 requires review of pt's med record is/are there specific documentation guidelines that are needed to reflect this type of consult?

5. What needs to be said within the path report? I expect med nec is driving this such as result from exam suspicious or inconclusive and the chart review is necessary before determining to order or request order additional testing.

6. If so, what other info is required in the documentation?

7. Should it be all in the one report or do pathologist document a secondary report (ex: separate progress and procedure report)

8. Do the documents that the pathologist reviewed within the medical records need to be signed/ countersigned?

9. Does a consult, between surgeon & pathologist, occur prior to receiving specimens?

10. If so, is this a billable consult or is it included in consult when specimen received (sort of pre-op period)?

Lastly, the surgical path seems fairly routine (will use CPT as guide/reference). however, provider billed 88305, -26 L1 & L2 (received 2 formalin (is this considered wet) specimens) and L3 and L4 88312, -26.
11. 88312, -26...it indicates "special stain" do I need to see documentation of that "special stain" within the report?
12. I gather that even if Dr. XXX actually examined the specimen the hospital bills that TC and the provider the interpretation; hence -26 on Dr. XXX charge? Are there any instances that the pathologist whole is doing exam and interpret can bill for both components?

13. I thought I saw something, while researching, about interpret only codes, but now I can't located. Is that correct and can you direct me to the publication please?

See codes 88321-88323. Consultation and report on referred slides prepared elsewhere is listed in CPT as 88321 which sounds most appropriate for this example you have provided. To my understanding, 80500-80502 is reserved for test results, not pathology specimens. If the consulting pathologists performs and interprets the stains/IHC, the consulting pathologist may charge for these. If they were performed/interpreted at referring lab and consulting pathologist is reviewing those results, this would not be separately chargeable.
Another good resource for pathology coding is Dennis Padgets handbook.
Hope this is helpful.

174.4 would be the correct code. The pathologist always reports whether there was any CIS with the carcinoma but it is not reported separately from the carcinoma.
I code for a pathology group.

See codes 88321-88323. Consultation and report on referred slides prepared elsewhere is listed in CPT as 88321 which sounds most appropriate for this example you have provided. To my understanding, 80500-80502 is reserved for test results, not pathology specimens. If the consulting pathologists performs and interprets the stains/IHC, the consulting pathologist may charge for these. If they were performed/interpreted at referring lab and consulting pathologist is reviewing those results, this would not be separately chargeable.
Another good resource for pathology coding is Dennis Padgets handbook.
Hope this is helpful.
thank you greatly apprecuate the feedback!

hello and thank you for the information.
As you code for pathology, I hope you can assist.
One of our path providers wanted to know if there are different intraop consult codes for during and after working hours.
I only found intraop CPT codes 88331-88332 and the descriptor does not make a distinction between working and/or after working hours.
Do you agree?
If no, please advise what CPT would be used for after hrs.

hello and thank you for the information.
As you code for pathology, I hope you can assist.
One of our path providers wanted to know if there are different intraop consult codes for during and after working hours.
I only found intraop CPT codes 88331-88332 and the descriptor does not make a distinction between working and/or after working hours.
Do you agree?
If no, please advise what CPT would be used for after hrs.
thank you

Hello bbooks

You have been very help in the past and I thank you.

I have been asked by a provider with a facility lab, can they submit a charge for sending specimens to an outside lab for 2nd opinions.

I located CPT code 99000?

The descriptor, “Handling and/or conveyance of specimen for transfer from the physician's office to a laboratory,” is a concern for me.

Do I take it literally or do/can providers within a facility lab submit this charge as well?

I understand that it is intended to be reported when the practice incurs costs to handle and/or transport a specimen to a lab. For example, if the practice employs a messenger service to transport a specimen,
NOT the obtaining of the specimen.