Wiki Paper claims

june616

Networker
Best answers
Hello, I'd like some input from others on this topic.

I just began working at a billing company after working at a family practice for 2.5 years (my first billing job). In my experience, when we printed claims it was okay to initial the claim instead of having the doctor signature. We also wrote notes like "Corrected Claim" or "Requested Documentation Attached" directly on the claim (in the area where the codes are) if needed. Someone mentioned that this is considered "altering a claim" and is illegal. Please let me know your thoughts, I don't want to be doing something illegal if I was taught incorrectly. Thanks!!

it's not "illegal". But handwriting on a claim form is a guarantee that the insurance co will not pay on it. No handwriting is allowed on claims anymore. Your billing software will have an area built within where you can free type the information that you want to show up in field 19 on the cms 1500 claim form.

Okay, thank you for the info. I'll have to look for the place in our EHR where we can enter any notes for the claims.

I disagree we are still getting our claims pd with these minor notes on them. We do make notes of NDC numbers in box 19, but as far as attached documentation we put these notes on the claim so that the insurances cannot deny that the information was sent when they scan them in. We are also required by medi-cal to hand sign the doctors name at bottom of claim.

We are allowed to handwrite on our Medicaid secondary claims, but we had to ask for special consideration from our state's Medicaid to allow this, and we have to include a copy of their approved "exception" letter for every claim we mail