Wiki Pap smear DX codes

tercanb

Best answers
In the Lab we receive outpatient pap smear specimens and requisitions. The physicians office mark V72.31 on the requisitions. Should the Lab use V72.31 or V76.2 when submitting the charges for processing and reading the pap smear?

If we should use V76.2, do we need to have the office mark it on the requisitions or can we change the requisition?

Thanks for your help

Terri Blankenship

What we do is leave the code the physicians provide and add the V76.2 or one of the 795 codes after the lab examines the sample and marks the appropriate box on a form.

V76.2 cannot be coded with 72.31 look in you ICD-9 book you will see the inclusion note. So for the lab you should use only the V76.2 and yes youcan change the dx from the requisition as long you have confirmation that it is Screening. Also you cannot code the findings as your primary dx when it is requested as a screening. You must list the v76.2 first and any findings secondary.

I have mentioned in the past that we cannot just add the V76.2 willy nilly but our compliance officer said "claims are not being rejected so it is ok" :/ but as I said in my previous post that is how we do it. The pap is coded from the drs office then the processors in the lab mark their sheet which we then add. Makes NO sense.

I would not be OK with this as a certified coder. I think you should should them in the code book where these codes are excluded. Also if you do not know it is a screening you cannot just add the code..

I'm not ok with it which is why I keep bringing it up. I brought it up again yesterday. Was told again it isn't an issue as we get reimbursed. :confused: I grabbed a cytology sheet and pointed out that a tech (for this particular bill) marked the V76.2 box and just how is a tech allowed to chose which code to use? On the req the physician provided V72.31 and per policy in place we are to add the V76.2 and leave the V72.31 as well. Another example I showed had 795.08 marked but was signed by the pathologist and not the tech. That was ok but the one signed by the tech alone? NO. The belief is that as long as we get reimbursed it's ok. :mad:

There is a reason I'm looking for another job.