Wiki Palliative Care

Best answers
I am looking for anyone who can help me with coding and billing specific to in-home Palliative Care. Is there anyone out there that is a pro in this specialty?

Hello Julieann,:)👩‍🦽
I believe I can help you in this matter. Here are the CPT codes to use for in home palliative care .They range from CPT 99341 99342, 99344 and 99345 & 99450. Deleted CPT code 99343. Provider or QHP must put down time in documentation but do not count travel time to pt.s home. Use the documentation guide of MDM and TAMPER. Must have at least 15 minutes at home to document CPT code. Prolonged services after 75 minutes add on CPT code 99417. Also can do the Advance Care forms use CPT 99497- 99498 as once a year additional code, but that is face to face with ill patient and caregivers to document, discuss and sign forms. Palliative care is for very ill patient with ongoing chronic conditions plus those leading to death or just complex management. Have provider code & assess first definitive chronic problem such as : various Cancers, COPD, ESRD, Dementia, Stroke, Cardiac, disabled Muscle Illness Etc. Then add if warranted differ assessments of depression PHQ9 pain management ESAS , Etc -CPT 96127 code done once a year or as required. The Z codes should be last. These are used...look at block of dx Z74 and chemo therapy code is Z51.1 if related to Cancer management and Z99 if supported. Also check CPT 99550 to 99512 for in home help/assistance on certain medical procedures with palliative care.

Telehealth can be used after contact with patient F2F and list referring MD NP or PA on claim if a QHP attends to patient. Telehealth for phone for QHP staff are CPT 98966-98968 add minutes speak on phone in med record. Licensed MD providers can phone call established patients too using CPT 99441-99434. If pt use video of Zoom can use Eva Mgn codes add modifier 95 on it. Only QHP CPT can be used by 99211 modifier 95 if video. Also note in medical record for the day s treatment if patient received phone call or video and time plus patient agreed to it and verify demographic data on patient. Oh yes sometimes can send digital message to patient ..their email get permission and use CPT 98970- 98972. '
I hope this was good material for you...took from the CPT manual yr 2023 plus abstract these daily too.
Lady T👨‍🦼:)

Last edited: