Wiki pain management- TPI

gaynor64

Contributor
Best answers
HELP!!!!!!!!!! can a pain management doctor that does Trigger Points which includes an ultrasound guidance bill the guidance once per session or can the ultrasound guidance be billed multiple times using an -76 modifier. This is medically necessary per physician. This issue has been on the table for quite some time and i cannot find any information either way. however i did find the MUE's stating one per session can be billed. ANY insite would be greatly appreciated.
geh

HELP!!!!!!!!!! can a pain management doctor that does Trigger Points which includes an ultrasound guidance bill the guidance once per session or can the ultrasound guidance be billed multiple times using an -76 modifier. This is medically necessary per physician. This issue has been on the table for quite some time and i cannot find any information either way. however i did find the MUE's stating one per session can be billed. ANY insite would be greatly appreciated.
geh

You are correct. TPI's are billable one time per session since the description includes muscles(s). There is a CPT Assistant that supports this coding guideline...(Excerpt from 9/2003)

"20552 and 20553 are reported one time per session regardless of the number of injections or muscles injected. This is indicated through the revisions that added an "(s)" to the term injection and to the term muscle."