Wiki Pain Management injection

Trudy Q

Contributor
Best answers
My doctor did a procedure today that was very different and I am having trouble coding it as far as CPT codes I asked him if he felt this was a nerve block injection and he said he did not go to a nerve or joint he just injected where the pt states she is having pain near the rod in her spine It has to be near the L5-S1 because that is where she had surgery and hardware Below is a copy of his documentation of the procedure.
Does anyone have any ideas?? and if so could you explain why you choose that particular CPT code?
Needing Help in Paducah KY :confused:
TQ

Pre-Procedure Dx: Right low back pain
Post-Procedure Dx: Same
Procedure: Injection of superior aspect of right fusion rod for diagnostic purposes

Indications:
Ms. ??? has been treated for problems with right low back pain which Dr. McDonald felt may have been secondary to the length of a fusion rod which was making contact with the spine. He has requested a fluoroscopically guided diagnostic injection of this contact point to help determine the etiology of her pain.
She was taken through a conservative course of treatment without complete resolution of symptoms.
Injection therapy was then offered and after the risk and benefits of the procedure were
explained to the patient, we have agreed to proceed.

Procedure:
Mrs ???? was taken to the procedure room and placed in a prone position on the fluoroscopy table.
The above described area was identified utilizing AP fluoroscopy.
This area was marked cutaneously, prepped with betadine and draped with a sterile cloth.
1% lidocaine was then used to raise a small skin wheal beneath the cutaneous marking.
At that time AP fluoroscopy was used to direct a 20 gauge spinal needle to the superior aspect of the right rod where the patients complaints of pain were.
After careful aspiration, 2.5 cc of a 50/50 combination of 1% lidocaine and 0.5% marcaine mixed with 80 mgs. of methylprednisilone was injected without difficulties.
The patient tolerated the procedure well without complication and was discharged home in stable condition.

Last edited:
Hi Trudy,
Do you think this would be considered 64483? (that's the closest I can find anyway) :)

i do not think it'd be a 64483. Those are transforaminal, and usually require a higher level of difficulty, this note seems pretty basic.....

I code 62311 and the 77003.26 quite often for doc however he did not enter the epidural space so that would not be the code. my guess is either 20999 unlisted procedure musculoskeletal system general or 64999 unlisted procedure nervous system however I am just not sure. tq: confused:

I'm going to throw out 96372 with 77003-26 for guidance...although this is probably worth more RVU's than 96372 allows. My only other suggestion is one of the unlisted codes.

:confused:

Actually this appears to be an injection done over hardware.

The code on this would be unlisted-64999.

Per the note the doctor is not entering the caudal canal so 62311 will not work.

64483 also will not work as he doesn't mention going into the neuroforamen.