Wiki pain management injection

carriep9829

Contributor
Best answers
Hi! One of our Drs performed radiofrequency ablation of the lumbar sympathetic nerves on the right side at L2, L3, and L4. I was having trouble trying to find an appropriate code. I was looking at 64640, but i'm not sure if that would be the right choice or if I should go with the unlisted code 64999?

thanks for your help! Have a great weekend!

Pain Management Injection

Just remember that ASCs cannot use unlisted codes. Hope that helps you to determine what to use.

64622 would be more appropriate and 64623 for each additional, with rt and lt modifiers. Hope that helps.

were exactly does it say ASC's can't use unlisted? I believe they can. They just don't get paid more than half the time...

pain mgt

i will use 64622-50 and 64623-50 but be careful there is a lcd on these codes with medicare.

As a pain management billing junkie, you cannot use 64622 for RF of Lumbar Sympathetic Nerves. Lumbar Sympathetic Nerves are completely different than facet/medial/paravertebral nerves. 64640 won't help either since sympathetic nerves aren't peripheral nerves. Your only hope is 64640 x 3.

Brock Berta, CPC
Junkie