Wiki Pain Management codes

KELLI

Networker
Best answers
When coding for transforaminal epidural inj with 3 levels bilateral is it appropriate to code the report 64483-50; 64484-50; 64484-50 ???

ASc Bilateral

I agree with Trose

While there may be a few payers who recognize 50 for ASC, most have to see 2 lines with Lt Rt modifiers in order to pay correctly.

If you've been consistently using modifier 50 for all payers- including Medicare, I would recommend that you have someone audit the payments. Most payers do not pay 150% of the allowable unless they see the code 2x. Their ASC payment platforms do not recognize the modifier 50 You may only be receiving 100% of the allowable for the procedure instead of 150%.

I audited a facility and found that they had been receiving 100% for over 3 years but because the amount matched the fee schedule they did not catch onto the fact that they should have been paid 150% of the fee, not 100.

Melanie

One of our doctors did a sacrococcyxgeal ligament injection and they want us to bill with 20550. I suggested 62311 since this injection was in the lower spine. Any comments or suggestions?
Thanks,
Denise M

mendezdenise:
In my opinion, I would not use the 62311 for the ligament injection. The procedure description for 62311 states "The solution is injected into the epidural or subarachnoid space", whereas 20550 description states "The physician injects a therapeutic agent into a single tendon sheath, or ligament, aponeurosis such as the plantar fascia in 20550 and into a single tendon origin/insertion site in 20551........The needle is inserted and the medicine is injected......"
Again, just my opinion.