Wiki Pacemaker Repositioning

amym

Best answers
Our physician repositioned a pacemaker without touching the electrodes as the pacemaker was pushing up against patients collar bone. Would 33215 still be appropriate? Sorry, I do not have a copy of the op note yet!

Depending on if it was a single chamber or dual chamber I would use either:

33212 (Insertion or replacement of pacemaker generator only; single chamber, atrial or ventricular)

OR

33213 (Insertion or replacement of pacemaker generator only; dual chamber)

I agree that the op report would be more easier to determine code selection...

Last edited:
Wouldn't 33215 also exclude the electrode, it states : "Repositioning of previously implanted transvenous pacemaker or pacing cardioverter-defibrillator electrode".

If it is just repositioning the pacemaker, I would use this code.

Repositioning pacemaker

Wouldn't 33215 also exclude the electrode, it states : "Repositioning of previously implanted transvenous pacemaker or pacing cardioverter-defibrillator electrode".

If it is just repositioning the pacemaker, I would use this code.

33215 would not exclude the electrode, this code is specifically for repositioning of a previously placed right atrial or right ventricular electrode of either a single or dual chamber pacemaker or cardioverter-defibrillator system. If the electrode was not touched then you would not use this code.

Code 33222 applies when the skin pocket of a pacer (not defibrillator) must be revised or relocated due to some problem with the location.