Wiki Pa assist

Best answers
We just added a PA.

When billing for surgery besides the modifiers AS and 80 (most common) do you put as the referring provider the primary surgeon or the primary care physician?

Secondly what percentage of the primary surgeon's usual and customary fee do you submit?

Sorry - we never had a PA before -

Thanks yet again.

We just added a PA.

When billing for surgery besides the modifiers AS and 80 (most common) do you put as the referring provider the primary surgeon or the primary care physician?

Secondly what percentage of the primary surgeon's usual and customary fee do you submit?

Sorry - we never had a PA before -

Thanks yet again.

Denise, We use our PA for assists in our ASC alot. Use -AS for most carriers, but there are some that do not recognize that modifier and insist that -80 is what they want for PA-C Assists. You'll figure that out if they deny with -AS then you can call and ask. The referring provider is going to be the primary surgeon...he's the one that asked the PA to assist. Watch the CPT's for which one's do not allow for assists. We charge 30% of the surgeon's fee for our PA. Some other's charge 20%. That will be something your practice works out with your PA. Good Luck!
Jenna

PA

Jenna - thank you - with all this Blue Shield stuff going on with my shoulder coding and now the PA - I am a little crazy. Thank you so much for your help.

If you have any insight on the shoulder stuff I would really appreciate it - I just want to learn now before I attend the coding course in January.

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks again - Have a great evening - Denise