Wiki PA allowed to dictate consult?

Best answers
:confused: Here is my question; cardio thoracic surgeon all of a sudden is allowing the PA in the office to dictate a consult determining the need for mitral valve repair, from the Consultation:

"Plan - After an extensinve conversation betwen the patient and his wife with Dr. John Doe, the risks benefits and alternative were discused in detail. The patient does wish to continue on with a mitral valve reapir and if needed replacement....."

My concern is this, I do not believe that a PA can dictate a consult, can they? I know that they can do the pre-op, follow up, vein harvesting during a procedure, etc. etc. But it is my belief that they cannot do the consult, isn't that supposed to be the expertise of the surgeon making that decision? Any facts that you may have on this would be greatly appreciated!! Also if you can direct me anywhere this may be stated so I can show the surgeon that would be great!!

Our PA's do consults. There is normally a supervising physician that may sign off on the note, and is available during consult. How to bill these are sometimes based on the insurance company.