Wiki Outpatient Facility Coding Help

Best answers
I have had my CPC for about 4 years now but have been coding about 7 and I only have experience with professional coding for physicians and NPP's. I'm trying to gain more knowledge regarding outpatient facility coding to broaden by career but I am having trouble finding information regarding coding guidelines etc. for facility coding. I am totally clueless in this regard because like I said I only have professional billing experience, can someone please point me in the direction of where to find information or provide me with a how-to?? What codesets do most facilities use? Do they use ICD-9 and CPT books or a different code set?

I hope you get some good answers to this because I work in an urgent care and we bill by physician but I am going to take the CPC-H because I think it would be more interesting! I'm scared though because I have never done any facility coding! I mostly do billing but we kind of do a little bit of everything since we are pretty small.

Hey Kdietsch85,

You'll be happy to know that Outpatient facility coding is almost exactly like outpatient professional coding. You'll still use CPT and ICD-9 codes for pretty much everything you code. The only difference will be the use of G codes and other HCPCS codes that you may not be familiar with from doing professional coding. I'd suggest getting a HCPCS book and looking at a source like Optum for a how to book. Hope this info helps!

Hey Kdietsch85,

You'll be happy to know that Outpatient facility coding is almost exactly like outpatient professional coding. You'll still use CPT and ICD-9 codes for pretty much everything you code. The only difference will be the use of G codes and other HCPCS codes that you may not be familiar with from doing professional coding. I'd suggest getting a HCPCS book and looking at a source like Optum for a how to book. Hope this info helps!

Thank you! I will try looking there. We use some Gcodes now where I'm at and some HCPCS but isn't the logic behind assigning particular ICD9 codes a little different? Obviously for professional coding you would apply the result dx rather than presenting symptoms(most of the time).