Wiki Orthopeadic Ultrasound in office

valerief07

Best answers
With all of the cut backs that our office has been facing my physicians are looking into other revenue. Has any other ortho office used or billed out for ultrasound in the office setting? We are not really looking to use it as a modality but possible as a diagnostic tool. We have heard that they are less costly then ordering an MRI. For example of evaluating for a tear.

I am having a hard time finding documentation that dosen't deal with using it as a therapy. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

With all of the cut backs that our office has been facing my physicians are looking into other revenue. Has any other ortho office used or billed out for ultrasound in the office setting? We are not really looking to use it as a modality but possible as a diagnostic tool. We have heard that they are less costly then ordering an MRI. For example of evaluating for a tear.

I am having a hard time finding documentation that dosen't deal with using it as a therapy. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

We billed 76942 with injections and get paid well (sometimes more than injection). Probelm is going to be medical necessity. Did you really need ultrasound for that shoulder injction or did you bill to get paid $$? Most of our other docs don't even use fluro (77002) for their injections but I have 1 or 2 that use ultrasound. I would expect the ultrasound guidance to go away soon. I'd be careful as you could very well be paying all that ultrasound $$ back one day if you report.