Wiki ortho to ortho 2nd opinion

JLM929

Networker
Best answers
I have a question. Any responses would be grateful. If a ortho sports med doc refers for a 2nd opinion to a total joint ortho for a 2nd opinion on the same body part. Would this be billed as a new patient or a follow up visit? Since there are no 2nd opinion E/M codes anymore.The question in the office would be Np due to the different taxomony codes? Please help!
Thanks

I have a question. Any responses would be grateful. If a ortho sports med doc refers for a 2nd opinion to a total joint ortho for a 2nd opinion on the same body part. Would this be billed as a new patient or a follow up visit? Since there are no 2nd opinion E/M codes anymore.The question in the office would be Np due to the different taxomony codes? Please help!
Thanks

The 2013 CPT E/M Guidelines state "exact same specialty and subspecialty who belongs to the same group practice". If your 2 physicians have 2 different subspecialties, and are registered under different taxonomy codes, my opinion is that the provider rendering the 2nd opinion could bill a new patient code. Just my two cents. :D