Wiki Ortho, pin/wire removal

samyjm13

Guru
Best answers
Post op period, dr is removing pin (20670), can this be coded under post op time and he has put a mod. 25 w/99204. Shouldn't it be a mod. 58? Can the splint be coded.

Can you tell i am new at coding orthopedics.

Thanks for anyones help.

If he is removing the pin IN THE OFFICE during the global period, the pin removal is not billable. Also, he shouldn't be billing 99204 - that's a new pt code. If he's done sx, the pt can't be new. If the pin removal is being done in a facillity & not the office then it is billable, and the modifier depends. If there's a complication that necessitates the removal, then mod 78. But if a planned pin removal, then mod 58. I'm pretty sure you can bill for the splint.

Pin removal

Thank you so much, i apologize for the transposition of 99204, it should have been 99024. But the question still stands on the mod. 58 for that code (99024). Thanks.

You don't need a modifier for 99024, that's the post-op f/u visit & should be a $0.00 charge anyway. You first mentioned that your doc used mod 25 on 99024, but it's not needed in this case. Modifier 58 goes on surgeries, not on evaluation & management codes. And again, whether you use mod 58 or 78 on 20670 depends on the reason for the pin removal - see my previous note. But again, if he did the pin removal (20670) in the office he can't bill it anyway.