Wiki Ortho e&m

lfoote_25

Best answers
Hello all, i have a provider who states noncontributory in re: hx on e&m visits but is that enought to to claim as gone over or ??? how i wonder would insurances take that ? anyone run into that?:confused:

Non-contributory = Doesn't count

First, I hope your provider is "documenting" the entire history with "non-contributory." I usually see it in relation to PFSH or ROS.

Many of the Medicare carriers have specifically stated that this phrase does not meet the requirements.

I do not count "non-contributory" by itself as satisfying the requirements for reviewing any of the history components. If the provider states, "Family history reviewed and non-contributory to this case," I might give credit (depending on the presenting problem ... e.g. trauma)

I heard a provider ask "what does family history have to do with a broken arm?" Well ... you might want to know if there is any family history of bleeding disorders or difficulty with anesthesia. Two easy questions to ask, directly related to possible treatment options, and satisfy the requirement.

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC