Wiki Ordering/Referring provider requirements for DME

mhstrauss

True Blue
Best answers
Hoping to get some input on this issue we're having...

I work in a multi-specialty Neurology-based clinic; we have PT and OT onsite at our main clinic. We also have satellite PT/OT offices. We supply DME (back braces and wrist splints) from our main location. We've been doing this for awhile, and are set up as DME suppliers with Medicare and multiple commercial payers. Recently, one of our OT's at a satellite location developed a special wrist brace for patients with Tremors (it's called the Readi-steadi Glove and has gotten great response!!). In the past, we haven't had problems billing DME from the main clinic, using our MD's that order the DME as the ordering physician. With this new brace, we're getting more outside MD referrals. The few claims we've billed to CGS Medicare (our DME contractor) have had the outside ordering MD on the claim, and are getting denied N276 Missing/incomplete/invalid other payer referring provider identifier. I've checked NPPES to ensure the other payers are registered with Medicare to order, and they are. I've looked all over the CGS website for additional info, and can't find anything. The only difference I can see between the 2 situations, is that when we bill for DME supplied from our main clinic, we have MD's onsite that are supervising, whereas at the satellite location, it is only therapists. I've also looked for supervising physician requirements for DME, and am not finding anything.

Has anyone else had any issues like this? Appreciate any advice anyone can give!!
TIA!