Wiki Opinions Needed- HCPCS Level II Book

TCrem

Best answers
Hi Everyone,
I originally posted this in my local chapter forum, but got received no replies.

I need to purchase a HCPCS level II book, and I'm hoping you can give me feedback and recommendations on the various versions that are out there.

Right now I'm torn between the PMIC version and the AAPC version. I use the PMIC ICD book and I like it, and assume the HCPCS format is similar. Several years ago I had the Igenix version and wasn't fond of the format or the fact that half way through the book I had to turn it upside down to read codes, so I'm shying away from the Optum version.

Does the PMIC have more info and detail than the AAPC, or vice versa? Which version is easier to use or assist in faster code selection for the CPC exam?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Trisha C.

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer AAPC

I used a 2013 PMIC book for my CPC-H exam and then earlier this year, I borrowed a 2014 AAPC book for my CPMA exam. I preferred AAPC as I felt it was easier to find the code from the index and now in my day-to-day work, I also feel that it has more information on the use of codes such as for PQRS and OPPS status indicators than the PMIC book. I also don't care for some of the narrative sections of PMIC as I think that this information may not be helpful for someone just trying to find a code.

That is just my opinion, and no, this was NOT influenced because this is an AAPC forum. That book is just better - it will be my choice for my 2015 purchase.

While I can't speak for the other version, I purchased my HCPCS book from AAPC, mainly because I got in the physicians bundle. Its the 2014 HCPCS Level II expert edition. I purchased that bundle because all three books were acceptable to take to the CPC exam. I like this book because it is easy to read and code from.