Wiki opinion/advice

PLAIDMAN

Best answers
I work for indepdent phys practice, ortho,podiatry

I get a ton of calls from ASC's,labs requesting codes. I don't mind at all helping out fellow coders BUT there are 2 ASC that I deal with that do not employ coders, just billers. In my last 40 hrs I have calculated that I worked on "their" stuff for 8 hrs, this seems really excessive to me.

Do all of you spend this much time coding "other" peoples stuff ?
Do you get a lot of phone calls from labs wanting codes?

I don't want to complain to management if this is "normal"

thx

I personally have never experienced this situation but I would look at it this way: you are assigning codes for another employer/entity, whom you are not employed nor protected by.... I personally would discontinue coding for them. Plus you aren't getting paid for it which is not fair in and of itself.

Are they requesting codes for other physician's patients or are they your doc's patients? If your doc is requesting labs then he/she should be supplying the codes for the reason the blood work is being done. Same for the ASC, if they are your doc's surgery patients they may want to make sure that you are both billing the same procedure & diagnosis. We run into this with our anesthesia billing, we don't get clear diagnoses and need to contact the surgeon to clarify.

If these are not your patients and they're just contacting you for help with coding then I agree with Teresa, you should not be assigning codes.