Wiki Operating Microscope code 69990

Best answers
How do you know what codes include the operating microscope in them? If it is included in the code description, then you don't code 69990, correct?
Example: Arthrodesis. I do not see the microscope mentioned in those codes, but I was marked wrong because I included 69990. At the end of the question: Adams used an operating microscope during all procedure phases for proper visualization.

How do you know what codes include the operating microscope in them? If it is included in the code description, then you don't code 69990, correct?
Example: Arthrodesis. I do not see the microscope mentioned in those codes, but I was marked wrong because I included 69990. At the end of the question: Adams used an operating microscope during all procedure phases for proper visualization.
If you refer to CPT guidelines for operating microscope it states, do not use 69990 for visualization with magnifying loupes or corrected vision. It also provides a list of codes that it should not be billed with. Additionally, the AMA CPT Assistant (February 2018) states, "Code 69990 is not reported simply for the use of an operating microscope, but for microsurgical techniques that require the use of a microscope—and only in addition to procedures in which it is not inherent." Meaning, it should not be billed for visualization alone. I attached the CPT Assistant for you.

Attachments

• cpt® Assistant Online _ Newsletters.pdf
    176.8 KB · Views: 1