Wiki Open Fracture-I'm hope this

tinaval

Networker
Best answers
Hello-

I'm hope this is not a stupid question. We have a patient that has a open fx, index finder distal phalanx. Our surgeon took the patient to the OR to do a debridement. She is billing 11012 which is fine but nothing was done to the fracture, she didn't have to manipulate or use any internal devices. I feel like she should still be able to bill for the fracture but since she didn't do anything to the fx I don't know if billing the open fx code would be right. And the closed fx care doesn't seem logical since it was a open fx.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

I was thinking of billing that code but the description says the "physician performs a open reduction", but since our physician didn't reduce the fx I wasn't sure if it would be appropriate to bill. The physician only did a debridement of an open fx, which I'm billing 11012 since she went down to the bone. Other than the debridement she didn't do anything else to the fracture. But it seems like she should still be able to bill something for the fracture but I could be wrong. Closed treatment doesn't sound appropriate since the dx would be open fx.

I totally agree with Colmsted. I was an orthopedic surgical tech. for 21 years before I became an orthopedic coder. An open fracture may indeed be treated closed. You should code for the debridement as well as the code for closed treatment of a distal phalanx fracture. Just make sure that your ICD-9 code is listed as an open fracture.