Wiki One more 20670 vs 20680

AT2728

Expert
Best answers
I'm just having a hard time determining without a doubt to bill 20680. Some procedures are very clear and layered closure is performed or removal from bone is documented, but this one is more vague.

Under Anesthesia. Tournequet placed proximally in the left upper extremity. A small 5 mm incision was made over the distal aspect of the pin. A mosquito was used to dissect down to the pin and it as removed. The wound was irrigated with saline. #2-0 Chromic sutures were used to close the incision. Sterile, soft dressing 4x4, web roll and long arm splint was placed with 3 point mold. X-rays taken after pin was removed while in cast showed appropriate reduction maintained. Patinet to recovery in stable condition.

So, he doesn't document the extent of dissection...6 yr old patient was under anesthesia done in Outpatient OR setting. I've went back and forth between 20670 and 20680.....Any thoughts out there?

Thanks
April

I'm just having a hard time determining without a doubt to bill 20680. Some procedures are very clear and layered closure is performed or removal from bone is documented, but this one is more vague.

Under Anesthesia. Tournequet placed proximally in the left upper extremity. A small 5 mm incision was made over the distal aspect of the pin. A mosquito was used to dissect down to the pin and it as removed. The wound was irrigated with saline. #2-0 Chromic sutures were used to close the incision. Sterile, soft dressing 4x4, web roll and long arm splint was placed with 3 point mold. X-rays taken after pin was removed while in cast showed appropriate reduction maintained. Patinet to recovery in stable condition.

So, he doesn't document the extent of dissection...6 yr old patient was under anesthesia done in Outpatient OR setting. I've went back and forth between 20670 and 20680.....Any thoughts out there?

Thanks
April

If it doesn't state "below the muscle level and within bone" I would use 20670.