Wiki Oncology Clinical Drug Trials

stwhitedeer

Contributor
Best answers
Hi,
We are physician office billing and have begun billing for Oncology clinical drug trials and after much research, I'm finding there isn't a complete billing guide for these services. A lot of great resource information but nothing that answers all our questions so I'm hoping someone who does this all the time will be able to help. If we have a patient that is currently on a drug trial and the patient comes in just for lab work, do we need to use the modifier Q1 on all services even though the patient didn't get the "trial drug" this day? Also, if you happen to know of a good informative web site for billing oncology drug trials and wouldn't mind sharing the link, I would really appreciate the additional information.
Thanks so much,
Tracy White

I know each insurance company has a different policy on clinical trials. Some will cover everything but the trial drug, some won't cover anything at all once you mention clinical trial, some will only cover phase III. You may have to research on an individual basis once you determine a patient is eligible for trial.