Wiki Office Visit VS Nurse Visit

nyauco91787

Best answers
Hello everyone,

I need assistance with a new patient who came into our office to get covid testing. It was coded as a nurse visit, however, the biller sent it as a 99211, what will be the appropriate CPT code for this visit? Can someone please help me?

Hello everyone,

I need assistance with a new patient who came into our office to get covid testing. It was coded as a nurse visit, however, the biller sent it as a 99211, what will be the appropriate CPT code for this visit? Can someone please help me?
If they purely came in for covid testing and nothing else then my employer has advised us to not code a level at all. Only the testing

If they purely came in for covid testing and nothing else then my employer has advised us to not code a level at all. Only the testing
Also, a 99211 is what would be considered a nurse visit in many instances. That is what I have always been taught to use for a nurse visit.

Anytime I was a patient in need of a covid test, either an NP, PA, MD or DO would at least order the test (and review results once available whether rapid or PCR). In your situation, who actually ordered and reviewed the test? Or do you have some sort of formal standing order (which I believe is still allowed, but not certain)?
It seems 99211 MAY be appropriate, even though this is a new patient. In scenario 2 (not exactly your situation but covers some of it), it notes:
For the specimen collection not part of a visit: 99211 Note: CMS has approved 99211 for specimen collection for new and established patients with 4/30 IFR; check other payors for reimbursement policies