Wiki Office visit then admitted -

amartin8

Best answers
I know that if a patient is seen in the office, then admitted and seen in the hospital on the same day that only one E/M will be paid - but does anyone know where I can find in writing preferrably whether other services in the office i.e. nebulizer tx, strep test, etc. should pay??

I know that if a patient is seen in the office, then admitted and seen in the hospital on the same day that only one E/M will be paid - but does anyone know where I can find in writing preferrably whether other services in the office i.e. nebulizer tx, strep test, etc. should pay??

Actually, CPT puts it in writing under the instructions for Initial Hospital Care.

"When the patient is admitted to the hospital in the course of an encounter in another site of service (eg, hospital emergency department, observation status in a hospital, physician's office, nursing facility) all evaluation and management services provided by that physician in conjunction with that admission are considered part of the initial hospital care when performed on the same date of service." (my emphasis)

Notice that CPT has omitted related procedures as being inclusive.

Best,
Jettman

You'd still be able to bill for any procedures performed in the office setting though, just not the E&M.