Wiki Office to Emergency Department

kathymoon

Best answers
This always seems to be a debate in our offices. The provider sees a patient in the office and the problem is severe enough they are not able to take care of it, so they refer the patient to the ED for more extensive followup. The provider feels they can only code a minimal office visit or no charge at all but documentation supports a higher level. The patient is NOT admitted.

Example: Seen by NP. Patient comes into office for bleeding from ear. Was involved in sport and had minor injury to ear. When ear examined there was enough blood that NP could not visualize inner ear. Patient also had some dizziness.

The provider confered with the ED doc and sent patient to ED. (CT-scan performed at hospital).

NP says 99211 (!). Documentation supports a 99214. New problem with add'l workup and moderate risk factor with "undiagnosed new problem". And a detailed history.

Am I looking at this correctly or is there something I'm missing? Shouldn't we be able to code with the 99214?

I certainly could use some feedback. Thanks.: confused:

The office visit code is determined by the documentation of the problem and treatment provided in the office, period. It doesn't matter if more extensive treatment is done elsewhere following the office visit. Take credit for what is done in the office.

It is good to get paid for expert medical care but if you don't bill the correct level of care that is supported by clinical documentation, you are giving away your services. I have billed a level 5 with additional time for an infant we sent via EMS to a children's hospital due to severe acute asthma with pulse ox readings in the low 80's even after multiple neb treatments and O2 admin. We got paid.