Wiki office attitude

ku313

Best answers
hi, everyone!!!
I need ur advice, please... I have about 7 years of billing experrience, i got my CPC last year from the 4th!!! time and very proud of myself. Now about my problem. I am very very difficult person and i am getting NUTS if someone talks about me in the office badly or talks behind my back... I am getting SICK. I was like that all 7 years and I DON"T WANT THAT ANY MORE!!!!! I think that basicaly i don't know how to stand up for myself (this is embarrasing and very painful) What should i do?
Thanks very very much, good luck to u all in this hard and still interesting career...

Congrats

Congrats on obtaining your CPC!

As for your problem of office politics, there are some very definite managerial perceptions about people who complain about their work environment, co-workers, etc.

That being said, there will always be someone that you won't get along with and there is usually at least one gossip in every setting except for self-employment either through remote coding (which is hard to break into and though there are a lot of ads for remote coders, either the work flow is slow or sporadic, or companies don't offer benefits, or they want very seasoned coders that can pass their sometimes grueling pre-employment tests etc.) or through consulting (depending on experience and the ability to start-up such a venture).

My advice: be professional. Don't stoop to the gossip level and keep your attitude positive. If the environment is not conducive to that, then by all means seek out new employment--but be aware that the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

I am very sorry to hear you are experiencing this kind of office politics. I do agree with Belinda, office politics are everywhere and there is always at least one bad apple in any group. Depending on your office (big, small, close group, anti-social, etc) you could have several options. If your company offers an EAP program, maybe you could start there to sort through your options and help keep a positive attitude. Good luck.

CONGRATS on your CPC
I am thinking about taking it too but I'm just afraid I will faild :( my employee is waiting for me to get it .....any tips ???
thanks a lot

hi, everyone!!!
I need ur advice, please... I have about 7 years of billing experrience, i got my CPC last year from the 4th!!! time and very proud of myself. Now about my problem. I am very very difficult person and i am getting NUTS if someone talks about me in the office badly or talks behind my back... I am getting SICK. I was like that all 7 years and I DON"T WANT THAT ANY MORE!!!!! I think that basicaly i don't know how to stand up for myself (this is embarrasing and very painful) What should i do?
Thanks very very much, good luck to u all in this hard and still interesting career...

Wow, I can totally relate!! I am having the same exact problem and I am also having a hard time standing up for myself or getting anyone to have my back, either. I have always hated confrontation! It is very frustrating and I am really tired of being the one to back down just to make the tension go away. I am so sorry that you are going through the same thing and I wish you all of the luck in the world. The best advice that I can give you, and also myself, is that there is probably a reason for it, an underlying jealousy maybe, or a matter of age difference (many older women are automatically more defensive to younger women, and I am sure that many women in this forum will disagree with that, but I have actually found this to be the case in many situations, which is unfortunate, because eventually, we will all be older women at some point in time) or it could be simply that, (as women, I am sure that we can all agree) that there are just some types of women that don't want to be friends, aren't happy or friendly, some even act childish regardless of their advanced age and some even think that someone is always out to get them. I would really like to see women try harder to get along with each other and not always be so darn competitive all of the time, but as we all know, everyone can not always get along. Too bad, too, because I think that work should not have to be a competition, but unfortunately, some women just can't help themselves. We spend more time with our co-workers than some of us do with our own families and it is a shame when things like this are happening. The best I can tell you (and myself, if I would listen to myself more..lol) is try to stay above it all and remember that there is probably a reason for it that has nothing to do with you or is beyond your control so don't take it personally. I'm sure there are twice as many women that you meet in your lifetime that adore you and try to remember them when you really get down!

I just wanted to share also that I agree with LTibbetts unfortunatley that is what it is like in every office. I personally feel that some people just need to grow up. I have always considered my self to be a nice and honest person and there is always that one who is either Jealous or a gossip or just plain mean and I found that instead of making myself sick over it and wondering what I have done wrong that it is their problem and they need to get overthemselves. I am just too busy.:)

That's actually pretty comforting to know that it does happen everywhere and in almost every office. It helps me to remember not to take it personally.

This is a topic that all of us struggle with, including myself. As a supervisor of a group of very talented coders, I have had to address issues within my group and also within the organization as it affects my group. As a supervisor, I am fully aware that my staff "talks about me" behind my back, which is perfectly acceptable to me. They have a right to rant about the boss, particularly if I've got it coming! We have an open-door policy, and if I've done something that bothers any of my staff, they know that they can talk to me about it and I won't freak out. Frankly, I don't ever take it personally. And as long as you know that you are a good worker and a good person, isn't that all that really matters??

First of all, gossip, negativity and bad attitudes have no place in a professional office. It takes only one unhappy person with a poor attitude to poison the entire environment. Your supervisor should address this immediately, without any retaliation towards you or anyone else who is having difficulty with the so-called politics. There is a difference between office politics (such as culture and work ethic) and poor attitudes. You have a right to be safe and respected at your job. If your supervisor doesn't address it, then take it to her boss or the HR department. That kind of behavior is unacceptable.

What I have found to be successful is to allow my staff the flexibility and responsibility to handle these kinds of situations (gossip, back-biting) on their own. We've found that most of the time, it's lack of communication that gives everyone the wrong idea about an often innocent comment or behavior. I've told my staff many times that I am not their mommy, referee or therapist. Because you say that you have difficulty speaking up, you may want to rehearse with a friend or spouse, but I can almost guarantee if you let your feelings and position known, in a professional and clear manner, you will see an improvement in how people treat you and respect you, and you may learn that you misinterpreted something. If not, at least you've opened up the lines of communication. Part of being a good coder is being able to communicate in a direct manner. It's a skill that can be developed, as well as being a useful skill for all areas of your life.

It speaks well of you that you've identified this as an issue. You say that you're "difficult", so perhaps you are unwittingly contributing to the situation. You are the only one with the power to change yourself, your situation and the way that others percieve you.
You may wish to seek the advice of a counselor or therapist, for some strategies on how to get your point across. It may help to examine the reasons why you're having difficulty. I would also be happy to chat with you about some of the strategies that have worked in my office.

Good luck!

Pam, so true! Having a professional supervisor like you helps alot as well. A professional supervisor has the tendency to nip things in the bud and make it a known fact that certain pettiness will not be tolerated in the office, thus raising the bar of professionalism while expecting the staff to do the same.

Simone, CPC

Last edited: